Saturday, December 27, 2008

Look what I found in the bargain bin

The Secret Machines
Now Here is Nowhere
(Reprise)

Price : RM10 (after 70% discount)

I love puns. So when I saw this baby in the rack, the pun instantly had me at ‘These’, and I had no choice but to buy this album purely on the basis of its wit.

Huh? Oh you mean you can’t see the pun. Ah, no probs, here let me help you. Yeah it can be tough for untrained eyes to break apart words and stick them together. It’s simple once you get the hang of it.

First, identify the words. Sometimes they can look absolutely normal at first glance. Need a hint? In this situation, the pun starts with ‘The’ and ends with ‘Machines’. You can ignore obvious non-puns like ‘Now Here is Nowhere’, because seriously, there’s like totally nothing in that worth dissecting.

Ok, got it? Good. Yup, you’re right. It was ‘The Secret Machines’. Now the next step is to delete the spaces between the words, so you get one long, initially unintelligible word like ‘thesecretmachines’.

Yes, I see the glimmer in your eye already! The words just jump out instantly, don’t they? The next step would be to insert a bit of punctuation into the gaps. Once you’ve done that, you have no choice but to recognise the sheer genius of the title. And so, after a bit of tweaking and twiddling, hopefully you’ll arrive at the same pun as I did. And the pun in question?

These cret, Ma! Chin es!

Brilliant title, isn’t it? Full of context and subtext.

Secret Machines – Light’s On (from Now Here Is Nowhere) [BUY]

No comments:

 
Web Analytics