Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Polyphonic Spree: 29th July, Metro Theatre, Sydney

Watching The Polyphonic Spree is a bit like experiencing a religious encounter and a John Woo movie at the same time. And I say this with little prejudice seeing as I am neither an incredibly religious person nor am I a fan of John Woo. But I am a fan of his movies. Gotcha! I know, my mom always said I had a way with words. Like how I once told a girl she was 'fat'. Yeah, that's it. I was being honest. She put me through about five tables and 6 chairs that day. Mahogany ones too.

Anyways back to my award winning analogy. Yes, there is the bit where the band sonically picks up a big-ass gun (we are not sure what model/made but it's seriously big), turns around in slow motion, rolls on the floor in slow motion, turns their head in slow motion, cocks the gun in slow motion, fart in slow motion, spins their buttocks to assume a firing position in slow motion, takes two seconds to dig their nose in slow motion before aching their hips to one side and firing about 54,678 987 rounds into your ordinary body. And just as you are about to die like a useless 5 buck and hour extra, a dove flies by, in slow motion and you see a light, and maybe a day and some bearded guys in robes.

And before you know it, you find yourself rising up, in a pile of blood and bile and you feel no pain. Because these bearded guys have got you propped up and you feel a peace. It might be the peace brought on by a 23-piece indie orchestra but it's a peace nonetheless. And no, it has nothing to do with the dove.

Oh yeah The John Steel Singers played as well and they were seriously great. Not John Woo great but definitely a Tsui Hark.

They played a lot of great songs that day but I am going to post a song that I wish they had played.

The Polyphonic Spree - Watch us Explode (Justify) (from The Fragile Army) [BUY]

No comments:

 
Web Analytics