Thursday, September 6, 2007

Luciano Pavarotti: 1935 - 2007

31st December 1999. Two boys were torn. Should they join the Deputy Prime Minister, some dangdut star and 150,000 people at the base of the Petronas Twin Towers? Or should they head over to the street party in another part of the city, where the Three Tenors were scheduled to croon before some 60,000 others?

They were torn. But one wasn't too thrilled about opera. And the other wasn't too decisive during those pensive teenage years. So the two boys boarded the train, and counted down the millennium in the presence of laser lights and spouting fountains. It was nice.

====//=

That was the closest I got to Pavarotti. And these days, whenever I get some prissy gal waxing lyrical about how Russell Watson is 'The Voice', or how Josh Groban makes their mummy cry, I remember that evening in December, and think to myself: I wish I had gotten closer.

Zucchero, Luciano Pavarotti and Andrea Bocelli - Miserere (from Zucchero & Co.)

No comments:

 
Web Analytics