Thursday, October 25, 2007

B-Side of the Week - Surf City Eastern Bloc

Arcade Fire
Surf City Eastern Bloc (from the No Cars Go single)
(Rough Trade Records)

What does Surf City and Eastern Bloc have to do with each other? Absolutely nothing.

When you say Surf City, I think of all the days I spent at Oahu island, riding the banzai pipeline while the traditional long-haired Polynesian hunnies sang songs to me from the sands and the modern spunky-haired ones strang garlands for me in the beach huts. I think of Japanese tourist girls who wore the garlands on me when I trudged back onto shore.

That's nothing like the Eastern Bloc at all! When I think of the Eastern Bloc, I remember the days when I served in a war camp Prekmurje, dressing bomb wounds for children and rebuilding townships for communities. I remember all the tall blonde Slovenian girls cooking me goulash at midday while the petite brunette ones made struklji with pork in the fiery evenings. I remember an 18-year-old migrant girl, the lasko beer she brought me and her sweet Hungarian teenage kisses.

So I tell you, when Arcade Fire entitle a song called Surf City and Eastern Bloc, they are absolutely out of their minds.

Arcade Fire - Surf City Eastern Bloc

No comments:

 
Web Analytics