Friday, February 22, 2008

Gig-gles: Explosions in the Sky Live - February 19, 2008

Picture is courtesy of Obvious Girl, defender of all things literal and dummied.

Have you seen Alien: Resurrection?

Yeah, it's the fourth part of the Alien franchise where gnarly aliens with acid for blood duke it out with Sigourney Weaver for the title of 'Old Queen Bitch of the Universe'. I mean everyone knows it all started with Alien and the best one was Aliens but everyone also knows that Alien: Resurrection wasn't the most unfortunate one as well. It had bigger guns, a brood of badass mercenaries and even a cool-as-f**k underwater scene. But it just wasn't as good as the first two.

For a long time, Explosions in the Sky (EITS) was like Alien: Resurrection to me.

Sure they had a guitarist with a cool name, a brilliant album to their credit and more movements and complexity than a Meg Ryan movie but I was always more of a Mogwai kid. 'Helicon 1' was always the summit of post-rock for me. But even so, I have to say watching EITS live, about four feet away from where I was standing, was at worst, a transcending experience of twinkling layers of picking folding on top of one another, before more often than not, detonating into a cacophonous swirl of fuzz and euphoria. 'The Only Moment We Were Alone' probably has a stake in my personal 'The Best Song I've Watched Live' category.

So now I am a Gremlin kid instead. Why? Cause I ate a cheese cake after the show and took a shower.

Snarl.

Explosions in the Sky - Catastrophe and Cure (Four Tet Remix) (from All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (Limited 2-disc Edition))

No comments:

 
Web Analytics