Friday, April 18, 2008

New Release: The Cobalt Season - Fragile Iconoclast

So I was hiking one day with a friend, when he suddenly turned to me and asked, "What's the difference between indie and Christian indie?" I stopped, turned to him and looked puzzled. He outlined the evolution of the subgenre from its Keith Green/Leigh Nash roots, through the Sufjan-Innocence Mission peaks and up to today, where the likes of The Cobalt Season could incorporate the lushest strains of modern indie into their bible belt twang.

I still stared at him, puzzled. Sensing my bewilderment, he moved on to discuss the thematic variances and subtle similarities of Christian indie. He explained how tunes laced with angst and trepidation were usually neutralised within minutes via the boulevards of redemption.

I continued to look at him, still puzzled. After a while, he realised he wasn't getting through, so he asked me why I was looking at him puzzled. To which I replied, "Is that a cicada drinking cafe latte in your nostrils?"

Puzzling stuff. I'm still stumped.

Track list:

1. Coming of Age
2. Water Rising
3. You Might Not Know You’re Home ’til You’ve Landed
4. You & I
5. Time Will Tell
6. Tick Tock
7. Disappear

No comments:

 
Web Analytics